Today is my lovely husband’s birthday. He doesn’t like to make a big deal of his birthday but now that he is married to me he kind of doesn’t have a choice in the matter.
I wonder what your response would have been on your last birthday if someone had told you what was coming for you this year. If someone had warned you that in one year you would be married to someone you vaguely knew with a baby son just weeks away from making his world debut; maybe you would have been completely freaked out. Maybe you would have run straight for the hills. I doubt it though. You could have done any of those things at any point this past year and you haven’t. Instead you’ve dove into our life together. You have taken on the role of husband and almost-papa better than anyone could have ever imagined, including me. I sure lucked out with you my love.
Here are some things I am looking forward to for you this year:
- I can’t wait for you and Miles to meet face-to-face and watch your heart grow 100 times larger than it already is. I can’t even imagine what it will be like to fall in love with the Dad version of you. So freaking amazing.
- I can’t wait to navigate parenthood with you. All the sleep-deprivation is sure to provide hours of tears-streaming-down-our-faces-laughter.
- I can’t wait to snuggle in bed, just our little family, on the weekends and then head to our favorite breakfast place. We get to be the cute family out for breakfast this year!!
- This year is your 3rd year teaching, and I love hearing you ramble about how much you love your job and your students. You are such an amazing teacher and I am in awe of how you are constantly working on improving your style, methods, and lessons. This year will be even better than the last, which is saying a ton. You inspire me.
- This is the year you will hear your son say “Daddy” and you will see his face light up just for you when you walk into the room. You are going to be able to make him giggle in ways that are succinctly your own. He is going to love Daddy time. This year you are going to be so fully altered by the love you’re going to get from Miles. He is going to think you are a super hero. He is going to look at you and want to be just like you.