Ten things I wish for you on your first birthday:
- I hope that you continue to march to the beat of your own drummer. Find the things that you LOVE and just be about those things unabashedly. Find people to be in your tribe. Forget about everyone else.
- I hope that you care about people. Your Daddy has a huge heart and your Mama cries over injustice often, empathy is not a weakness.
- I hope you learn which rules to break. Birthday cake can be a fine breakfast and sometimes ditching school to road-trip with your friends can be magical (Just make sure you tell your mom where you’re going and be safe!).
- I hope that our home is always a safe place. I want you to feel comfortable being exactly who you are and when things get crazy I want you to always always always know you can find refuge at home.
- I hope that you’re a good friend. Fiercely loyal and fun-loving. I think that you are who your friends are, choose well.
- I hope you love learning and school and reading and science. The world is so much bigger than you know. There are journeys to go on.
- I hope you get in trouble just enough to learn your limits, but not enough to require Mommy and Daddy bailing you out of jail.
- I hope you stay fearless. You it out as you go.
- I hope you never get to old for a little snuggle time. I won’t tell anyone, but hopefully you won’t even care if I do.
- I hope you know how many people love you Buddy. Even more than that, I hope you grow up with a deep sense of security because you have so many people in your corner.
You are the best and hardest thing I’ve ever done. Thank you for making me Mama. I love you.