Is it too soon to talk holidays? No, good. Because that’s what we’re doing today.
Thanksgiving will be here before you know it, followed closely by Christmas. My question is how you and your Man-Friend navigate the holiday traditions. Do you swap whose family you spend Thanksgiving or Christmas with? Do you put a limit on gift cost?
This year for Thanksgiving we have no idea how old Miles will be. He’ll be here, but he could be just getting home from the hospital or in his 3rd week at home. So we’re planning on sticking close and making no plans. We will go with the flow.
Christmas has always been a huge deal to me. I was THAT single girl with the tub of Christmas decorations. I really want to keep Christmas morning for our little family, and then deal with everyone else secondarily. This year we will be waking up Christmas morning at our house and then some time that day or the next driving down to San Diego to be with Mr. A’s family for a week.
I also want to know what kind of Holiday Traditions you guys have in your homes. For example, I will be making Apple Dutch Babies Christmas morning and everyone gets new PJs Christmas eve. The Christmas tree goes up the day after Christmas while singing Christmas songs and sipping hot cider. We will be going to our towns Christmas tree lighting ceremony (because Santa will be there and Miles will totally want to meet him right?).
What works for you and your house? How do you navigate all the family expectations? AND what traditions make you really excited for the holidays to come?
I have a lot to be thankful for. Currently I am going to be thankful for my friend Melissa and her amazing family who are taking me in for the day (and night). There will be lots of laughs, wine, and food. We will also be steadily adding to the folder of Bri and Melissa pictures.
1. What is your favorite breakfast pastry? I make Dutch Apple Babies on Christmas morning. LOVE. Warm apples and cinnamon gooey love? Recipe here. Try not to lick the picture.
2. Were you ever in a Thanksgiving or Christmas play? No! But if I could be ANYTHING IN THE WORLD I would be Sally in “A Charlie Brown Christmas”. Sally is the younger sister of Charlie, and we’re kind of soul mates. Then add to that fact this video of Kristen Chenoweth as Sally Brown singing “My New Philosophy” and I die.
3. What is your favorite clothing accessory? The slouchy hat.
4. What is your favorite item of clothing? This cardigan from Anthropologie. I love it to pieces.
5. What is your favorite color and why? Teal. I googled what that means about me and found this:
It is often said that people with the favorite color teal are compassionate, faithful, protective, and serene. Some words that go with the color are; healing, love, generosity, intuition, creativity, communication, self reliance, meditation, spiritual
6. What is your favorite type of Christmas cookie? Snickerdoodles. I have a thing for cinnamon.
7. What is your favorite scent (food, perfume/lotion)? My perfume is Viktor & Rolf Eau Mega. Picking it was long process, I was looking for a specific scent to be “My Smell”. It’s flowery without being overflowery. Adult but not “smells like a grandma” (Not that my grandma smells anything but lovely) Now, imagine trying to describe this to a salegirl. Lots of blank stares in my direction.
8. What is your favorite household cleaner? Simple Green! Super effective and my cats won’t die if they lick it. Which they might. I don’t know what cats do when I’m not home. I imagine it’s a party followed by a nap.
9. When you were a kid what did you want to be when you grew up? And what did you actually grow up to be? I wanted to be a teacher. And then I rebelled in high school and told everyone to shove it with there “You should be a teacher” bologna. Then I went to grad school. Then I dropped out of my PhD program with a masters in Demographics.. which means I’m a big ol’ data dork in real life. 10. What is the last song or album you bought? I bought the Glee Chistmas Album last night. Which means I’ve been listening to Christmas music. Opps.
But I mean COME ON! Chris Colfer & Darren Criss singing “Baby It’s Cold Outside”. How can i resist that amazingness? Try. I dare you.
So now that I am not fighting it anymore, what’s your favorite Holiday/Christmas song?
This is Dromoland Castle. I stayed here. It was amazing.
Cliffs of Moher
My wish for you I wish you not a path devoid of clouds, nor a life on a bed of roses, Not that you might never need regret, nor that you should never feel pain. No, that is not my wish for you. My wish for you is: That you might be brave in times of trial, when others lay crosses upon your shoulders. When mountains must be climbed and chasms are to be crossed, When hope can scarce shine through. That every gift God gave you might grow with you and let you give your gift of joy to all who care for you. That you may always have a friend who is worth that name, whom you can trust and who helps you in times of sadness, Who will defy the storms of daily life at your side. One more wish I have for you: That in every hour of joy and pain you may feel God close to you. This is my wish for you and for all who care for you. This is my hope for you now and forever.