Have I mentioned that when I start getting anxious or nervous I start researching and making lists? It’s true. I’m like a mix of really neurotic and really productive. I’ve spent a ton of time the past couple of months reading recommendations for what should be brought to the hospital with us.
With my due date approaching, this was our third to last weekend before Miles’ arrival (and that’s only if he is on time, he could be early! or late!). I am not trying to guess his actual arrival date, but I do NOT want to be caught off guard when I go into labor. I work about 40 minutes from our hospital, and if I go into labor while I am at work may not have time to stop at home to get my bag so this weekend I had the goal of getting my bag packed and into my trunk.
Mission accomplished. First time delivery hospital bag = Packed.
My packing list has three parts: (1) Things that will be on my at all times in my purse (2)My luggage that Mr. A can retrieve from the car after I get all checked in and (3) Things that will live in the trunk that we won’t need until after baby is here.
In my purse:
- iPhone Charger
- Lip Balm
- Hand Cream
- Face Powder
- Extra Hair Ties and Bobby Pins
- Admit Papers
- Camera Charger
- Water Bottle
- Bath Robe (An old one that I can toss after)
- Slippers (for walking around during labor hopefully)
- Nursing Pads
- Mothers Milk Tea Bags
- Nursing Night Gown (also an old one that I can toss after)
- Socks (Big fluffy ones in case it’s cold in the hospital)
- 6-pack of Panties (Bought a back of these that I can use and toss. I’ve read this is a good idea. I have no idea.)
- Coming Home Outfit For Miles (I have two outfits, the weather has been so unpredictable it could be 85 degrees or 50 degrees.)
- Receiving Blanket
- Toiletries ]
- Extra Hair-Dryer (Vain? Maybe. I just know that there will be a ton of pictures taken and I am going to avoid looking like a greasy gross new mama)
- Make Up Case
- My Coming Home Outfit (I packed a dress and leggings. Comfortable and it will be ok with a post-preggers belly that looks a bit preggers still)
- Heat Pack? Ice Pack? Oil?
- Nursing Companion Book
- Nail File (I’ve read this is a good idea for my nails and for Miles’. I also have little mittens for him so he doesn’t scratch himself with his gnarly nails)
Things in the Car:
- Regular Pillows (For me and Mr. A)
- DVDs (Long labors do not run in my family, but just in case I have a long one and am looking for some distraction.)
- Boppy Nursing Pillow
- Birthing Ball
- Towels (Big ones. Soft ones. Ones that can be tossed after.)
- Dad Bag of Things Mike Needs to Sleepover
I feel very zen now with this is the trunk. We also installed his car seat Saturday, which is the coolest thing ever. I keep forgetting it’s there and then thinking “Wow! He’s going to be here in that seat so very soon!”